The North-West Football Awards 2017 took place this week at the Old Trafford Cricket Ground in Manchester. Hosted by Dan Walker the awards were celebrating the tenth year of recognising football in the North West from the grassroots to the professional game. Supporters Direct partnered with the awards and were among the prestigious partnerships in attendance, including Leesa, Kick-It-Out, Women in Football, Tongue Tied Media, Havas PR and the PFA.
Winners from the night included:
• 'Unsung Hero' - Gordon Lawton (Sadly Gordon passed away in June of this year. The award was posthumously given for his dedication to Oldham Athletic)
• ‘Journalist of the Year’ – Daniel Taylor (The Guardian) for his work uncovering and reporting on football’s sexual-abuse scandal.
• 'Fan TV Channel of the Year' - Redmen TV (Liverpool FC)
• ‘Men’s Premier League Player of the Year’ – David Silva (Manchester City)
• ‘Men’s Championship Player of the Year’ – Ben Pearson (Preston North End)
• ‘Men’s League One Player of the Year’ – David Wheater (Bolton Wanderers)
• ‘Men’s League Two Player of the Year’ – Sean McConville (Accrington Stanley)
• ‘Men’s National League Player of the Year’ – Andy Cook (Tranmere Rovers)
• 'Women's Player of the Year' - Caroline Weir (Liverpool FC)
• 'Lifetime Contribution Award' - Brian Kidd (former Manchester United and current Manchester City Coach)
The night ended with the 'Lifetime Contribution to Football' award being presented to Brian Kidd by Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Vincent Kompany and Ryan Giggs. Kidd in his closing speech thanked many people and ended with a rather fitting comment about supporters - "Don't forget the supporters because they are the club".
A big thank you must go to Laura Wolfe and the team for creating such a memorable evening for all of us involved in football in the North-West.
For more information about the winners please visit the NWFA website.